Monday, December 7, 2009

What to Move First?

Yesterday, we spent the bulk of the day moving and sorting junk in the basement. I went through some papers and we put a pile of junk for the dump and a pile of junk for Goodwill. Ed ripped up the carpet in the spare bedroom and cleared it right out. He swept and put in the dehumidifier. He wants to let it run for a few days to air it out. Then his dad will come next weekend and together they will lay the wood veneer floor we purchased from Ikea. After a day of moving and lifting and sorting we were both pretty sore in the muscles. So what does Eddy suggest? He wanted to know if I was game to go skating. I said absolutely. So off we went. Neither of us has been skating for 2 years. I found out that in 2 years my balance isn't as good as it once was. Also, because I have only been skating a handful of times in my life, and I'm still wearing the skates my mother purchased for me in the 1950's, I not very agile on my feet. (When the skate sharpener guy sharpened my skates 2 years ago, he started to laugh and asked me if I was aware that my skates were antiques). Never mind, they work for me, sort of! So at 8:00 P.M. we started our skate. By 8:16 P.M. I had skated around the rink 5 times while holding on to the boards trying desperately not to fall. I felt my heart start to beat quickly and my sweat starting around the end of the 3rd go around. I was so excited. I was thinking. "CARDIO, YEA!" After the 5th round, I was ready to go home, and so was Eddy. (Think baby steps). When we got home, Eddy had a sore back. We took a hot bath and just lay there together, enjoying the heat, relaxation and being together (albeit in pain).

When Eddy woke up this morning he was really in pain, so I gave him a rubdown on his back and then put some ice on it. In the meantime, I ran around the backyard 10 times. Buffy sat at the back of the yard, getting a closer look I think. Then I came in and Eddy was ready to discuss our plan for today. I explained to him that my muscles are warmed up and I needed to start my exercise routine. So downstairs I went and did some balance, strength, and stretching for the next 30 minutes. At that point my son-in-law called and asked me to baby-sit for the grand kids from 11:00 to 3:00 P.M (while my daughter was at the spa). Not what you think. No lah de dah here. This is her first time ever, and she so deserves to be pampered. She is pregnant and has a 3 year old and an 11 month old, and she never complains. She is such a great mother. I couldn't be more proud of her. So much for any plans working downstairs moving more junk! Eddy totally understood. He redefines the expression, "good natured." Of course I made some breakfast for him before I left. He was happy.

When I got back from babysitting, Eddy had delivered the whole pile of junk to the Goodwill, and taken the other whole pile of junk to the dump. He also gassed my van. He is such a good guy. All this with a very sore back. He went for a nap while I prepared dinner.

We had a nice big salad with chard, kale, red leaf lettuce, watercress, cucumber, green onion, tomato, celery, blackberries, nuts, and hemp nuts, with an oil and vinegar for Ed and ginger sweet and sour salad dressing for me. I also made guacamole, pesto which I put on zucchini squash spaghetti strands. I also made some sprouted wheat tortilla baked chips to compliment the guacamole. There was also some raw broccoli and cauliflower to dip into some ranch dressing. We were very satisfied afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment